when I started this blog five years ago, I was a pet sitter and the name animal-crackers made sense. now I'm a stay-at-home-dad and freelance writer, but rather than confuse everyone by getting a different blog, it's just easier to keep posting things here.


Friday, August 19, 2005

The things we hold on to

Ever notice how there's certain things you believe that just aren't true? I'm not talking about grand political-socio-economic-historical stuff. It's the little things we hold on to. The little lies that we tell ourselves -- even as we recognize them for what they are.

Here are a few of mine:

1) I can judo. I had two 1/2-credit phys-ed classes in college. Twelve years ago, this was. And I still think that if I were to get in a street fight today, I'd be able to bust out some judo, disarm my assailants and toss them like bags of hay.

2) Someday, I'll make good use of my Arabic and Hebrew skills. Very similar to No. 1. In college -- a gazillion years ago -- I took three semesters of Arabic and two semesters of Hebrew. I can't even recite their alef-bets.

3) Blueberries make it healthy. Yes, blueberry pancakes are healthier than regular pancakes. This is also true for muffins and donuts. It's fruit!

4) Same with strawberries. Strawberry ice cream must be healthier than vanilla or chocolate. Right?

5) I'll be rich. This one confounds me on several levels, because I'm not materialistic. I'm a pack-rat and a terrible consumer. I wear shoes until they disintegrate. So it's not like I have an overpowering drive to be wealthy. What's worse, I don't have a plan for becoming rich. I'll never receive a fat inheritance. But somehow, the money will appear.

6) I'll have an important job. Actually, this has all but slipped away. As a child, of course, I figured I'd be an astronaut or doctor. Even until recently, I imagined I'd be a top-notch journalist, a congressman or a lead guitarist. Now, I have no idea what I'll be doing in five years. Hopefully writing books.

I'm sure there's more. But that'll do.
posted by todd at 10:28 AM

2 Comments:

Oh my, I have those too. The main one is that I'm going to be thin and athletic someday. I have no coordination and hate to sweat, but it's going to happen. I just know it!!

Andree

12:53 PM  

Ha I'm with you! - two years of karate when I was 10. The only thing I can bust these days is my credit card limit.

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home