when I started this blog five years ago, I was a pet sitter and the name animal-crackers made sense. now I'm a stay-at-home-dad and freelance writer, but rather than confuse everyone by getting a different blog, it's just easier to keep posting things here.


Saturday, July 30, 2005

Bad ideas

Here's a little note written in the file for one of my sits:

"When walking her please keep away from kids, other dogs, cats, elderly, the infirmed, and anyone else who might not like a dog bite."

Ok, I made some of that up.

The dog is a border collie. Although not the largest or meanest looking dogs, border collies are among the most aggressive.

And this is a dog with a history. I have no idea who it had attacked before -- but I suspect animal control wasn't involved. Otherwise, she'd have been put down.

Now in the living room, the dog has a bed. And next to the bed: a baby swing.

Yes, this bright young couple places their infant next to the aggressive border collie.
posted by todd at 9:22 PM

4 Comments:

Border collie's agressive? What has that owner done to i?.My brother's had a few border collies on the farm (unfortunately they also like chasing snakes - not too smart) and they are nicest dogs but have a lot of energy to burn.

9:42 PM  

Unfortunately, the border collie here doesn't have the farm to burn energy on. She's not being worked for what she was bred -- herding.

This is from a border collie rescue site: http://www.bcrescue.org/children.html

6:54 AM  

You're right Toddito. A dog is dog and not a person. They have instincts and behaviours bred into them and we have to match our enviroment to the right type of dog.

8:46 PM  

I'm a border collie fan. I had one for six years, that grew up with Analise. She was fantastic with her. I'm actually considering getting another one.
It must be how the people have raised the dog - to make her jumpy like that.

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home