when I started this blog five years ago, I was a pet sitter and the name animal-crackers made sense. now I'm a stay-at-home-dad and freelance writer, but rather than confuse everyone by getting a different blog, it's just easier to keep posting things here.


Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Babylon Aisle Five

We stopped by the neighborhood Ultra-Mega-Wal-Mart yesterday to pick up a few things. Some donuts, shoes, howitzer. You know, the typical Wal-Mart goodies.

While Andree was off looking for some clothes, Josh and I checked out the village-sized area of shoes. We found the aisle for his size and I looked for something he might like.

Another family was there, too -- a mother and two daughters, probably 4- and 2-years-old. The older daughter is sitting on the floor and discussing shoe options with her mother, en EspaƱol.

In Texas, this is far from uncommon, and we're hoping Josh will become fluent in the language. (I was one of the losers who took French in high school.)

But for now, he's not.

Josh sat down next to the girl, who was still talking, and this is what he said:

"Blabiddy blah blee blah blah blee."

He babbled and babbled and babbled. The girl stopped talking and looked at him like he was an idiot. Josh didn't care.

I was mortified. The mother smiled politely as they exited the aisle.

***


Question for comments: How many languages do you speak and what are they?
posted by todd at 7:30 PM

3 Comments:

After living in Indonesia/Malaysia for four years I'm ashamed to say I only speak english with a little pidgeon Malay.

2:12 AM  

Oh! Spanish, English, and several computer languages. :)

8:50 AM  

hahhah Josh is so funny.
I speak French and a few curse words in Spanish.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home