when I started this blog five years ago, I was a pet sitter and the name animal-crackers made sense. now I'm a stay-at-home-dad and freelance writer, but rather than confuse everyone by getting a different blog, it's just easier to keep posting things here.


Friday, August 05, 2005

March of the Penguins

No spoilers here.

Josh and I went to see March of the Penguins this afternoon. We were there a little early, only the second pair to sit down.

As a few other people trickled in, Josh watched the commercials -- nearly all of which were Coca-Cola related. Coke trivia. Coke Zero. MyCoke.com. No matter. We were enjoying ourselves. Josh chattered the whole time.

There were nine of us in the theater when a 10th guy arrived. He walked up to our row, pushed past Josh and I, and sat right freakin' next to me.

There are at least 100 seats in the joint and he sat next to me. He had a long, ratty, graying beard and smelled odd. Possibly cigarettes and old-people stuff. I had to move the diaper bag from chair, so I said "excuse me" rather loudly.

He seemed to take the hint. He sat in the chair for just a minute before getting up to sit in the next chair over.

Josh was still talking.

The lights dimmed and the previews started. One was for Pride and Prejudice, another for Harry Potter and Goblet of Fire, and a third I can't remember. But they were all loud and not targeted toward 3-year-olds.

Josh was still talking.

Movie started. Beautiful camera work. Antarctica looked amazing from the comfort of a movie theater. The penguins made their entrance. They're cute and waddly. Morgan Freeman narrated.

Josh was still talking.

He ate some cereal I had smuggled in, and sucked down a juice box. After about 15 minutes, Josh wanted to wander around. So we moved to the very back row.

He's still talking. No one seemed to care, thank god.

Penguins are incredible. This particular group hopped out of the water, marched 70 miles to their breeding ground, paired up, mated, popped their eggs which were given to the guys while the females marched 70+ miles back to the ocean -- all of this and they still haven't eaten.

They go for 120 days without food. That's 119.85 days longer than I've ever gone without food.

Oh, and Josh was still talking.

Finally, he tried to nap (while talking) in the seat. So we marched home.

I don't know how the movie ends. But the first 40 minutes were great. I would definitely recommend those 40 minutes.
posted by todd at 3:05 PM

5 Comments:

We went to see the movie today too and Analise was bored with the entire thing.

10:10 PM  

Takes after Andreeb does he?


Oh I know - I'm going to pay for that comment.

5:15 AM  

PHIL!!! How dare you? Shut it, you bastard!

10:45 AM  

Uh oh! I think i hear some hormones coming through....! Just kidding, that comment was totally warranted. Anyway, i can't imagine a full-length movie about some penguins would be too exciting anyway, so i applaud your decision to leave. but wait, nothing every happened with that scary old-smelling guy?

7:19 AM  

No, nothing did happen with the weird guy.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home