when I started this blog five years ago, I was a pet sitter and the name animal-crackers made sense. now I'm a stay-at-home-dad and freelance writer, but rather than confuse everyone by getting a different blog, it's just easier to keep posting things here.


Wednesday, August 24, 2005

First surgery

Dylan should be in his first surgery by now. The doctors need to close a valve that is short-circuiting the blood system and putting undue pressure on the lungs, eventually causing them to bleed.

The doctor said that the surgery is so routine, he's never lost a baby to it. Still, all the usual surgery risks are there.

Andrea sounded much much better when I talked to her on the phone this morning. By last night she had been awake 40 hours straight (exluding the two hours of surgeries, but that doesn't count). It's impossible to get any real sleep in the hospital with nurses coming in and out of the room.

She still hasn't seen Dylan. Since her surgery, Andrea's had all sorts of minor problems including a recurring low-grade fever. Any fever at all is enough to keep us from seeing him.

I'm heading over this morning after leaving Josh with a friend. Hopefully her fever is down we'll get to see Dylan together.

I saw him for a couple of hours yesterday. First while Andrea was in her second surgery and again around noon. I got to hold his little feet.

Also, we still haven't told Josh he has a baby brother. Anyone with experience on this? We don't even know where to begin.
posted by todd at 8:33 AM

5 Comments:

Hey buddy. I am so sorry that you and Andrea are having to go through this. I will talk with you soon
Billy

10:34 AM  

Dear Todd,

I too am sorry that you and Andrea have to go through this. My thoughts and prayers are with you all during this tenuous time.

May God give you strength,
Luisa

11:08 AM  

Geez, me, who has an opinion on everything, has no advice at all.

I maybe wouldnt tell him yet. He's so very young still and he might have a hard time understanding why Dylan isnt home or why he cant see him yet.

Give that baby a foot tickle from me.

Love to you all

2:29 PM  

I think you should tell him. Just tell him the baby is very sick and at the hospital. He wouldn't be able to see him yet will he?

All my love guys and good luck.

3:13 PM  

Sending thoughts and prayers for all of you. I agree that you should tell Josh as soon as you are able. Please pass on well-wishes to Andrea.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home