when I started this blog five years ago, I was a pet sitter and the name animal-crackers made sense. now I'm a stay-at-home-dad and freelance writer, but rather than confuse everyone by getting a different blog, it's just easier to keep posting things here.


Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The appointment

Our pediatrician's office is sort of strange. Since Dylan was born so early and spent so much time in the hospital, the doctor likes to have him in every four to six weeks. But no one else in the office seems to get this.

Typical call:

Me: Hi, I'd like to make an appointment for Dylan to see the doctor.

Receptionist: Is this for an illness or a wellness check-up.

Me: Uh, a wellness check-up, I guess. The doctor said he wanted to see Dylan in six weeks.

Receptionist: Does he need to get a shot?

Me: No.

Receptionist: Then he's sick.

Me: Wait, no. What?


After some convincing, we're allowed to enter the wonderfully architectured halls of medicine. And then we have to go through it all again with the nurse.

"He's not here for a shot and he's not sick? Why are you here?"

Damn good question I suppose.

None of this is terribly interesting. However, I could have simply written: Doctor saw Dylan today. He weighs 17 pounds 2 ounces and the doctor was pleased to hear him babble like a 9-month-old.

If I had written that, you (all two of you) would have felt cheated.
posted by todd at 11:12 PM

4 Comments:

ummm, three... I've been reading you and your wife for a long time, and I'm sad she locked up her diary...

5:19 PM  

Sara! Who are you??? Email me for password if you want it :)
pantrypuff@yahoo.com

8:11 PM  

Great to hear the little tacker is doing so well.

8:52 PM  

yay! its so good to hear he's doing well.

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home