when I started this blog five years ago, I was a pet sitter and the name animal-crackers made sense. now I'm a stay-at-home-dad and freelance writer, but rather than confuse everyone by getting a different blog, it's just easier to keep posting things here.


Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Holding Dylan

I held Dylan for the first time today. It wasn't the blissful, touched-by-an-angel moment many of you would probably expect.

Dylan cried and tugged at the breathing tube shoved in his nose. Between his tiny wails the ventilator made him sound like Darth Vader. And a sudden rush of activity made the whole NICU louder than usual.

But it was good enough.

He's unbelievably tiny -- 2 pounds 13 ounces. Imagine taking a small sofa pillow and setting it on your chest. That's what he felt like.

The nurse responsible for Andrea's first holding, Terri, was the same one who set me up. And she bugged the doctor into letting Dylan get held twice per day. Can you believe they have to write that into his orders -- like a prescription?

Terri also took some pictures that turned out rather fuzzy.

posted by todd at 4:35 PM

6 Comments:

Todd--How frightening to hold someone so small and alive and who is your son! Even blurry, it's a great picture:)
Suanne

5:17 PM  

congrats Todd. I guess you guys can just get him a little black helmet and he'll be all set for Halloween as Darth Vader. Funny how things work out.

7:09 PM  

Well done Dad.

8:38 PM  

Again -- how great is Terri!!!

Andree

8:42 PM  

I'm so glad you have both finally held him. The photo is adorable. What a sweet baby!!! :)

Amy

8:29 AM  

I have tears... what a great photo. Now I have to rummage in my desk to find those cheap tissues they stock us with... they are worse than hospital kleenex.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home