when I started this blog five years ago, I was a pet sitter and the name animal-crackers made sense. now I'm a stay-at-home-dad and freelance writer, but rather than confuse everyone by getting a different blog, it's just easier to keep posting things here.


Saturday, July 09, 2005

It seemed like a good idea...

I've been a pet sitter for a year now and Andree and Josh have never seen me in action. Or rather the pet sitting equivalent of action. So we all went tonight.

I had just two sits -- both were a pair of golden retrievers. They're big and energetic, not the ideal breed for a three-year-old. But they're good dogs.

We go to the first house and the retrievers are mobbing us. Very pushy and licky. We make it outside and Josh alternately loves them and fears them. He's yelling some while he runs around the backyard, but not loud enough to draw out the neighbors. Back inside, it's a little too crowded, so Andree and Josh leave to go home.

A few minutes later and I'm ready to leave. I walk out and I find they're still there. Andree says Josh wants to see the other house. Okay.

The second house is a little nicer than the first. More neighbors prowling the streets. But I figure what the heck.

These two retrievers turn out to be worse than the first. They're outdoor dogs with a nice yard and a small plastic children's pool filled with murky water.

We walk outside and the dogs are just freaking out. They're bouncing everywhere, jumping on us, assaulting Josh. Playfully, of course. But still, way too aggressive and I'm getting kind of nervous.

Then while I'm trying to occupy the dogs I see Josh kneeling at the edge of the deck, about six inches above the ground. Apparently he was reaching for something, lost his balance, leaned forward, but couldn't stop his momentum.

He fell on top of his head.

And started wailing.

That's when the dogs attacked him. Playfully, of course.

We quickly pick him up and shuffling him inside while he's screaming. He's okay. Just a little scare, a little dirt and a few dog licks.

It seemed like a good idea. But I don't think I'll be bringing him along to any more sits.
posted by todd at 8:34 PM

2 Comments:

Man - poor Joshie. All he wanted to do was play with the nice doggies and they (being desperate for some attention/affection from being alone) mobbed him.

12:17 AM  

Aw. poor Josh ;(

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home