when I started this blog five years ago, I was a pet sitter and the name animal-crackers made sense. now I'm a stay-at-home-dad and freelance writer, but rather than confuse everyone by getting a different blog, it's just easier to keep posting things here.


Saturday, September 03, 2005

Back to work

It's back to work for me at least. I've done a few sits here and there this week. But now it's the Big LD weekend and I had a full schedule. Nothing new to report -- crazy rich people with crazy rich pets.

I did accidentally meet one of the clients today. This happens rarely, and isn't suppose to happen at all. I pulled into the driveway and saw nothing unusual. When I walked, in the TV in the family room at the back of the house was on. A little odd.

Then I walked into the kitchen and sure enough, there was KC getting things ready to leave. I scared the piss out of her.

Turns out, I hadn't checked this new paperwork that's now included in the files. If I had, I would have seen I was about five hours early. KC was very nice about the whole thing, and asked "Are you the one that just had the baby?"

Small world.

Because of my sits yesterday and today, we didn't get to see Dylan until late. Friday night he was agitated when we arrived and grew increasingly pissed the more we talked to him. The nurse had to crank up the oxygen to 55 percent from 40 percent. (We breathe 21 percent.)

Tonight, he was much, much better. His oxygen was 32 percent. The nurse had pulled down the unit's lid and set the thermostat at 36.8 degrees Celsius. His body temp was 36.4 degrees. (You'll have to do the conversions yourself.)

Bad news -- bacteria was detected in one of Dylan's IVs. He is showing no signs of illness, so it's most likely that the bacteria came from the tube itself and not his blood. However, they removed the IV and now have to prick his heel every two hours to check his blood gases. Poor baby.

Also, there's no progress on his intestines. The doctors had hoped they would detect gas in them by now, which would signal it's OK to give him some breast milk. But he has no gas. Who's baby is this?

Dylan was given a teeny bit of milk the other day, but it's still sitting in his stomach. Like the bacteria, it likely means nothing serious. His innards probably just need to develop.
posted by todd at 10:30 PM

3 Comments:

Things at least don't sound dire and thats good for one so tiny. He sounds like he's improving slowly but steadily.

Betty

8:28 PM  

He'll be burping and farting in no time. Say g'day to the little man and Josh for me.

Love to all.

8:30 PM  

I am wishing baby lots of wellness so he can come home SOON!

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home