when I started this blog five years ago, I was a pet sitter and the name animal-crackers made sense. now I'm a stay-at-home-dad and freelance writer, but rather than confuse everyone by getting a different blog, it's just easier to keep posting things here.


Monday, June 09, 2008

busy and yet not

Today kinda of sucked.

It was Josh's first day at summer camp, a topic fraught with great peril. This will be the third summer at Crenshaw, which has gymnastics, swimming, story time and arts and crafts.

First he wanted to go, so we paid the deposit. Then he didn't want to go. Then he did, but he was afraid of the pool. And on and on.

All this anxiety-ridden build-up was for nothing. He went this morning and had fun.

That was 8 am. At 9 am, Dylan's physical therapist visited.

Dylan didn't want to kick the damn ball. He wanted to rifle through the PT's stuff. By 10 am, that was over.

At 10:30 am I took Dylan across town to the speech therapist. Of course, he was a freak there too. But at least the therapist had an explanation.

Dylan has reached a new level of frustration. He has all these thoughts in his head, and he can't communicate them. Thoughts like "eff you dad, you're getting me McDonald's now!" and "you better bring me my juice or I'll punch your teeth through your spleen."

You know, normal thoughts.

Dylan and I left the speech therapist's office and retrieved Josh from camp at about 11:50 am. Came home. Thank god, Andrea came home for lunch.

Because at 1 pm, I was off again, this time with Josh to the play therapist. The last time Josh saw Ann was around Halloween. Andrea and I were surprised when he asked a couple of weeks ago to see her again. But we figured if he's asking, there must be a reason.

Ann said Josh is much more relaxed, much less anxious than a year ago. And she was impressed with how he handled kindergarten.

So Dylan's good and Josh is good.

Now all I need is some more freelance work. I had two major clients, and one of them Ignite Learning has shifted from production to marketing. That's a fancy way of saying they don't need my services.

My other major client, a marketing boutique, seems to have hit a slowdown in projects.

If this keeps up, I may need to go begging for my old freelance job -- proofing indexes for a local book publisher. The guy who owns the company is awesome. But the work itself is mind-numbing.

Probably time to dust off the resume.
posted by todd at 4:24 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home