when I started this blog five years ago, I was a pet sitter and the name animal-crackers made sense. now I'm a stay-at-home-dad and freelance writer, but rather than confuse everyone by getting a different blog, it's just easier to keep posting things here.


Tuesday, October 02, 2007

randomness

1) It's been a rough couple of weeks for Josh.

2) Last Monday he got a new teacher. He also had to miss school that day because he was sick.

3) So last Tuesday was really his first day with the new teacher. Everyday we get a little note from her.

4) It's encrypted. A star means a perfect day. Smiley face is a good day with only a few warnings. A straight face is a down day with one or more time outs. And a frowny face is for felonies and misdemeanors.

5) Josh received his first frowny face on Thursday.

6) Friday, Monday and Tuesday were marked with straight faces.

7) We were upset. Did we raise a thug?

8) Today he received a smiley face again. Yay!

9) I have (more or less) quit my freelance proofreading job.

10) I started proofing pages for a local specialty book publisher shortly after Dylan was born. (And only a few months after I started this blog.)

11) It was my first freelance job.

12) However, my other jobs are paying more and are a lot more fun.

13) Hopefully you'll see some of my work at your nearest Best Buy in November.

14) AMD is introducing its Phenom computer chips, and the marketing company I'm working for is handling the in-store displays, brochures, print ads and related stuff.

15) It's weird. But fun.

16) Andrea is one of the Austin YWCA's Women of the Year.

17) Andrea tries to blow it off like it's a minor award. But you can tell she likes the recognition.

18) Did I mention she spoke with Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter the week before last?

19) She went to the Carter Research Center in Atlanta to wrap up her fellowship.

20) Still can't believe it's done.

21) It's never actually done.

22) Hopefully her preemie stories will have a lingering impact.

23) Dylan's doing well, too.

24) He's still breaking in his new pair of shoes.

25) Dylan started seeing a physical therapist a few weeks ago.

26) I guess he's making progress with his walking and talking. But it seems quite slow lately.

27) I hope Josh and Dylan appreciate the Iraqi War, since they'll be paying for it for the rest of their lives.

28) Had to slip something subversive in there.

29) Dylan just about broke his nose today. He loves climbing up the slide. Today his foot slipped and he landed on his face.

30) Ouch.

31) Josh is watching the Smurfs. Grampa Smurf: "A turtle that sits on the rock all day, misses the tide."

32) Words to live by.

33) Who the hell is Grampa Smurf? Papa Smurf wasn't old enough?

34) Some say that people who support war but don't want to pay for it are cowardly doo-doo heads.

35) It occurs to me that the Democrats earned the moniker "tax-and-spend liberals" when they were buying guns and missiles and sending children to fight in Vietnam.

36) Oh, and also when the Democratic-led Congress bought more missiles to fight the Soviet Union during the Cold War.

37) I thought Republicans LOVED war.

38) They probably do. They just don't want to pay for it.

39) Wait a minute, wasn't I just writing about Josh and school and Dylan and fun stuff?

40) Got away from me there.

41) If you're read this far, congratulations.

42) Thank goodness the fall TV season has started.

43) House rocks.

44) OK, now I'm just getting bored.

45) More later. Maybe.
posted by todd at 6:23 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home