when I started this blog five years ago, I was a pet sitter and the name animal-crackers made sense. now I'm a stay-at-home-dad and freelance writer, but rather than confuse everyone by getting a different blog, it's just easier to keep posting things here.


Friday, August 31, 2007

has it been 10 years already?

This might strike some as sad, but I remember exactly where I was 10 years ago when I heard Princess Diana was killed.

I was living part-time in Wilmington, N.C., in an apartment owned by the newspaper for which I worked. Andrea still lived and worked two hours away in New Bern, which is where I spent my weekends. However, that weekend Andrea and our friend Billy came to Wilmington to visit.

I had heard the news first, but didn't think it was that big of a deal. Andrea wasn't impressed either. But Billy is a tabloid junkie.

Now 10 years seems so long ago. Wilmington was a bust. We lived in High Point and Greensboro for a couple of years -- that too was a bust. And we moved here, where we lost one kid, nearly lost another and ended up with two beautiful, healthy boys.

It's been 10 years since I worked for someone whose face I didn't want to vomit on. (Actually that last decent job was in New Bern, not Wilmington.)

Ten years ago, Billy was still in the closet. Now he's out loud and proud and living in New York City. Ten years ago there were a couple big-ass towers in lower Manhattan, too.

Ten years ago we had a president who scored higher than 610 on the SAT. Of course, we were still bombing people -- but it was mostly the Serbs.

We were still using phone modems to surf the Internet, which was fine because we hadn't heard of Napster.

I was driving an '82 station wagon. Andrea had a Dodge Daytona. Oh, and we had just gotten our first dog together -- a shar-pei named Toby.

It all seems so long ago.
posted by todd at 6:13 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home