when I started this blog five years ago, I was a pet sitter and the name animal-crackers made sense. now I'm a stay-at-home-dad and freelance writer, but rather than confuse everyone by getting a different blog, it's just easier to keep posting things here.


Tuesday, June 26, 2007

warming schwarming

I had a conversation with someone recently about global warming.

"OK, so it gets warmer, the ice caps melt, create clouds, reflect the sun and it gets colder. So global warming makes it colder?" I asked.

The person with whom I was speaking doesn't believe in global warming. Weather goes in cycles. It gets hot, it gets cold.

I can understand why people might think that. How can you believe in something you can't see?

(Now I'm not mocking faith or god, because 100% of the people who study god believe in her. Whereas only 90% of people who study global warming believe in it. That's like reasonable doubt or something.)

Also, there's the human ego factor. Isn't it arrogant to suppose humans are SO important, SO powerful that they can ruin a machine that's been running for hundreds of millions of years?

But here's the thing -- it's raining here. A LOT! We've had record rainfalls in Texas. And in New England it's almost 100-degrees today. More hurricanes. More tornadoes.

(Not to mention there's raging forest fires near Lake Tahoe, but that's California. A lot of people don't think California counts.)

What's it going to take to convince people of global warming? Bloody rivers? Locusts? Luaus in Greenland?

I shouldn't complain. Our yard looks great -- nice and green.

And if Central Texas should become the next Sahara, we can always move to the beach. After all, it'll be just a few miles down the road.
posted by todd at 10:09 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home