when I started this blog five years ago, I was a pet sitter and the name animal-crackers made sense. now I'm a stay-at-home-dad and freelance writer, but rather than confuse everyone by getting a different blog, it's just easier to keep posting things here.


Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Firsts

I've been so busy, so much blogging potential has gone to waste.

Like Dylan's first birthday more than a month ago now. It was low-key, a couple of close friends hanging out eating Chinese food and ice cream cake. Dylan had his first taste of frosting.

And Josh's first soccer practice and first soccer game. Actually he's had three so far. The first two he wandered around the field trying to hug the other kids. But the third game showed promise. He kept up with the ball-chasing pack, kicked it a few times and even had a shot-on-goal. But no actual goals. Maybe next week.

Then there was Dylan's first word. He has said "dada" and "mama" a little bit. But that doesn't count. It's like saying "baba" or "gaga." Then, a week ago Sunday, he said his first real word.

"Joshie."

He said it three times, and once again the next day. Now it's been a full week and he hasn't repeated it. He's lost interest and instead puts his energy into clapping his hands.

And here's another first. When I picked up Josh from preschool today, a little girl chased after him yelling "bye."

"Who's that?" I asked as we got in the car.

"I forget," Josh replied. It's a favorite reply of his when he doesn't want to be bothered. But I kept bothering and finally he said "KD."

"KD? Is she your friend?"

"Yes."

"You like to play together?" I asked.

"Yes, and sometimes she loves me."

"Um...how do you mean?" I asked trying to sound nonchalant.

"Sometimes she likes to hug me and give me kisses."

"That's so sweet. And do you kiss her back?"

"Yes," Josh giggled.

OK, I thought. No big. After all, at the last soccer game there were these two 4-year-old girls on the other team who hugged each other when they scored a goal. It wasn't long before Josh joined in the hugging action.

"I have to tell you something," Josh said. "Tomorrow, she's going to be my girlfriend."

"I'm sorry, tomorrow what?"

"I said, tomorrow she's going to be my girlfriend," he repeated.

So there you have it -- Josh's first girlfriend.
posted by todd at 12:41 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home