when I started this blog five years ago, I was a pet sitter and the name animal-crackers made sense. now I'm a stay-at-home-dad and freelance writer, but rather than confuse everyone by getting a different blog, it's just easier to keep posting things here.


Thursday, April 05, 2007

your opinion counts

Meet Charles. Charles thinks he's cool. Charles opened up a cafe in his church's children's center.

What had been the library surrounded by classrooms was gutted. Now it's a coffee ship. Surrounded by classrooms.

Anyone can walk in off the street, buy a cup of joe and stalk little children. Doesn't that sound like fun? I mean, what's a church without pedophiles?

Not so long ago I would have called a church without pedophiles Protestant. But Charles has a vision. He wants to bring some good old fashion child molestation back into the curriculum at his Baptist barn.

History: Charles ordered the construction of the Coffee Tabernacle over a year ago. Half of the teachers for the mother's morning out program (which Josh attends) quit and half of the parents stopped bringing their children.

Then Charles promised us: The cafe will never open during the day when children are present. Andrea and I were skeptical, but the cafe was indeed closed when we dropped off Josh.

A week ago, that changed. Jeniffer, the new mother's morning out director, gave every parent a monthly newsletter. In small print at the bottom of the newsletter, she announced the cafe was going to open from 7-10 am.

School starts at 9:30.

I talked to Jennifer and she didn't see the problem. She said some parents have even expressed their excitement over the changing hours.

Guess what Jenny. Andrea and I aren't the type of people who give a flying fuck what other people think. And we loathe sheep who do care too much about what other people think.

Then I emailed Charles. This is what I wrote:

"My wife and I are very concerned about the new hours at the Connexion Café. We had been assured the café would never be open while the children were in school. Now that’s changed.

"Please reconsider, or maybe wait until Summer Break. Josh loves the program and has been looking forward to “graduating” in May. (He starts kindergarten in the fall.) We don’t want to pull him out. If you could perhaps postpone the new morning hours a few weeks until after graduation, we would be very appreciative."

This is Charles' heartfelt response:

"At this time, we are planning on going forward with morning hours (7am-11am) starting on April 9th.

"Even though at the moment we are moving forward, I would very much like to understand your concerns/fears associated with the change. My belief that we can do both: We can continue to provide quality child-care and open our coffeeshop with morning hours. Please know that the concerns of parents and children are important to me (as a parent of three) and our Church, so please help me better understand your thoughts on this matter. I would gladly meet you sometime to discuss things, or feel free to call/email me."

OK, first -- what? 867-5309 (Jenny) said the cafe would be open until 10 am. Now it's open until 11 am? Thanks for the lies Jenny!

And wow, Charles. Although you're moving forward, you're willing to listen to my concerns?

Why the fuck do you want to listen to my concerns? You're moving forward anyway. Won't my concerns just bore you?

Charles, you must be such a good listener. I bet your wife/beard is so very happy/proud to have/hold you.

As much as we would like to put Josh on display for every stranger who walks in off the street, we're overly concerned with his safety. The simplest answer would be to remove him from the program.

But how fair is that -- to rip Josh away from his friends so Charles can sell coffee to his pedophile buddies? Why should Josh suffer for Charles' exciting dream of Jesus and joe?

No, we're going to grin and bear it for the next six weeks. I'll take Josh in at 11:15 -- make sure the cafe is predator-free -- and then pick him up 2 1/2 hours later. It's a shitty solution, but it's the best we can do.

And then when he graduates, we'll be done with that church of retards forever.

Is it too late to switch to Judaism?

Labels: ,

posted by todd at 9:54 PM

1 Comments:

Well, is it possible to go there everyday and stare at the people while Josh is in school? I personally would be such a bitch about it, he would shut it down to make me quiet.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home